And The Band Was Playing A Gay Tune
Musée's Creative Director Sam Shahid will be publishing a book of his own work in an effort to raise funds for ACRIA, a leading non-profit and community-based organization devoted to HIV prevention and care. Titled And the Band Was Playing A Gay Tune will be a collection of photographs taken over the last four decades that document a life of gay pride.
To help make this book happen and to raise even more funds for ACRIA, Shahid has started a Kickstarter campaign. If you would like to learn more about the project and donate to a great cause, visit the site here.
The Cost Breakdown
- $2,500 - Preproduction costs (scanning, proofing, etc.)
- $5,400 - Prepress
- $20,100 - Book Printing
- $2,000 - Shipping to the United States + Customs
- $1,000 - Printing and shipping prints
- $500 - PR and advertising
- $3,500 - Fees to Kickstarter
Any additional funds collected, beyond our goal (should we be so lucky!), will be put toward making And The Band Was Playing A Gay Tune even better. There are many small ways we can make the book more special—paper upgrades, additional inks, more rounds of proofing, etc. If we far exceed our goal of $35,000, we will begin to plan a gallery show for And The Band Was Playing A Gay Tune, to be held in New York City. And you're all invited!
We've already done so much! Since 2014, we have been going through Sam Shahid's archive organizing and selecting images. This year the story came together and And The Band Was Playing A Gay Tune was born. Here's what's left to do:
- January 1 - Finalize layouts of And The Band Was Playing A Gay Tune and begin pre-production (scanning and restoring negatives and prints, begin pre-press procedures, etc.)
- February 1 - Kickstarter fundraising begins!
- March 1 - Kickstarter fundraising ends
- March 2 - Send final layouts to our printer in Barcelona
- Month of March - Review test proofs from our printer. Make sure everything is looking as beautiful as possible.
- End of March - And The Band Was Playing A Gay Tune on press!
- Mid-April - Books are shipped to our office in New York City
- Mid-May - Beginning shipping rewards to our wonderful supporters
- June 1 - And The Band Was Playing A Gay Tune available to the public, just in time for National Pride Month!